View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 03:50 AM
Splash
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2010
Position: Boeing Boss

Originally Posted by DAL73n View Post
Really, what makes 5 day trips by definition any more commutable than 3 or 4 day trips. Even with 5 day trips you need at least 3 trips a month to fill up. With proper 4 day trips I can have only 12 days of work, 9 nights in a hotel and the rest in my own bed. 5 day trips doesn't make that any better AND if only 1 of the 5 day trips is non-commutable on either end (maybe both) then you can end up (as the junior guy stuck with it) with 7 days away. Also, it will be next to impossible to get rid of a 5 day trip if you don't like it, want to get rid of something to be home for that you couldn't bid around, etc. etc.
Another factor - My reps report that the current number of 5 day rotations equals 100 pilot positions. They were briefed on it at the last meeting in Florida.

Staffing matters more than making commuting less painful, IMO. There's probably a reasonable mix of priorities out there, and I'm a non-commuter who supports improving the lives of commuters if it can be done without affecting staffing. A better call in honest policy is a good place to start.