Thread: Retirement
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2006, 05:37 AM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Horizon Air

Back when I was working for Horizon Air a captain burst into the ready room and declared with his hands in the air "Well that was my last flight, I am now retired". The room erupted in congratulations but his response wasn't as expected.

In place of the beaming speeches and warm remarks he disintegrated into a screaming tirade in the middle of a room full of his colleagues. As he descended into a totally deconstructed state he announced to the room how after 23 years as a pilot for Horizon Air he only had enough retirement funds to last a few years. This caught me as odd since I had flown with him only a few weeks prior and all it seemed that he could talk about was his 401K and how he had been putting away the max since they began the program.

At that moment I also recalled how on our flights he kept asking me silly questions about my former employers and how much Alaskan part 135 pilots and CFI's earn. Every time I would give him an answer his face would twist and he would turn away to stare out the window in deep thought. During a pause to catch his breath the chief pilot steamed in to the room with an entourage in tow. Congratulations he boomed and proceeded to give a glowing speech of his own. Upon completion he extended gifts of a gold leaf stick pin of pilot wings and a Horizon Air coffee mug, then off he went. After the chief pilot left the room began to disburse and the dejected pilot slumped over in a blank stare at his new mug.

I wondered what he would do. He was a good and conservative man. He was married to the same woman, had three daughters and a modest home. I am sure that he was thinking "how did I end up here"? At that moment I knew that a career at the regionals would never be able to properly fund my life goals. If your wish is to have a warm middle class life with a stay at home wife, children and all the normal costs associated with upkeep and retirement, there just isn't nearly enough as a regional pilot. After watching that Frontline episode I am not even sure if a major airline pilot even earns enough anymore.

The younger set loves to accuse me of being money hungry. I understand that they most likely don't have the expenses that I have and don't realize where life might take them. I love flying but one of my main goals was to be able to earn a better living and to have more time at home than had I not undertaken the sacrifices to get there. On that day in the ready room someone mentioned that perhaps it would be more appropriate and merciful if the chief pilot were to give out as gifts a hand carved wooden box labeled "Retirement Plan" with a cyanide pill inside.

Keep dreaming though !! Stay the course. You guys don't need any money. The joy of flight is compensation enough.

SkyHigh