View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 06:13 AM
NowCorporate
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2008

Originally Posted by OceanicPilot View Post
For those experienced corporate guys out there, I have the opportunity to fly a G450 or G550 as a Captain overseas but the pay seems like it's on the low side possibly due to the fact that the company will pay to type me.

Question 1 - What is a G450/550 type rating cost/worth?

Question 2 - What is a typical salary for a G450/G550 Captain?

Question 3 - How marketable would I be in the U.S. later with the rating and time in type and how much time would I need? I have plenty of PIC experience but it's all airline to date.

Sounds like an odd deal...do they require some kind of long contract? are you on the line for the cost of training if they disappear in 2 months? There are always a million things wrong with these quirky overseas deals...be careful!

What is the type rating worth? I never found any type ratings to be worth a whole lot really...its all good experience and will build connections, friends....but the value upon return and looking for work? Places that strictly care about the type rating and time in type usually suck to work for. Being rated and having strong Intl corp experience will certainly help, just not as much as one thinks. Your real connections and friends will help FAR more - and not people on the pilot internet web boards. Most of the job info taken from these is usually pretty inaccurate, save your $10 a year.

Salary? - huge range. I know G450 pilots who make 85K, I know ones that make 250K. Most G5/Global/etc type pilots around me are in the 150K range, give or take bonuses..

How marketable would you be? I guess that all depends on the market! Right now - not very marketable..there is a real odd perception out there that type ratings make you marketable. Its just not true for the most part.

IMHO there has never really been a shortage of "typed/current" pilots in any aircraft (except for the lowest of jobs)...what there is ALWAYS a shortage of is stable/local/experienced/qualified/highly recommended pilots. This I have seen first hand over the last few years. I have seen equally qualified Gulf/Glex pilots laid off from the same job...one gets a great job 24hrs later, the other 12+months later and cant get anything but overseas part-time contracts...so again, dont think any rating makes you marketable.

Good Luck with the gig!

Last edited by NowCorporate; 04-09-2010 at 06:23 AM.