View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 03:07 PM
jungle
With The Resistance

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Burning the Agitprop of the Apparat

Originally Posted by FighterHayabusa View Post
A couple of points:
1. The progressive Federal tax system allows other taxes to be regressive and flat - some state income taxes, sales taxes, fica etc - this is not a coincidence.

2. "Hidden taxes" are regressive - Kraft pays federal taxes, and that is priced into every block of cheese.

3. You too can pay no Federal income tax! All you have to do is make no money! Who in a household that pays federal income tax would like to switch places with a household that pays no federal income tax?

It is right that everything worth doing is worth paying for - and it's better that everyone see exactly what they are paying so government is more accountable; it is wrong to assume that half the country is getting a "free ride" because they didn't pay any federal income tax.
Roughly 73% of all Federal income tax is collected from about 10 percent of the earners. I can well imagine the outcry if 10% of the population was targeted in a similar manner due to ethnic or geographic reasons. It is discrimanatory, it is wrong and it will one day be viewed as slavery is today.
Taking my money and time is taking my life, cute labels like regressive and progressive are like calling the holocaust the final solution.

We all need to pay taxes, ten percent for everyone would solve two major problems. Government is way too large and has become far too expensive for the average person. How many of us could write a check for around 1.5 million dollars that the gov has obligated every family of four to pay?
Second, they need to stop selling what they don't own, they have no right to spend well beyond what they collect.

A tax on just half of us is just wrong, and there is no possible logical defense. If we don't share the responsibility, how can we possibly share the benefit?
How would you feel about just allowing half of us to vote, the half paying Federal income tax?

Last edited by jungle; 04-09-2010 at 04:01 PM.