View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 07:54 PM
jungle
With The Resistance

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Burning the Agitprop of the Apparat

Originally Posted by FighterHayabusa View Post
It's not a free ride for the reasons I laid out - they do pay federal income taxes, just not directly. Do you think that FICA taxes and sales taxes could be regressive without a progressive federal tax? Wouldn't a Big Mac be cheaper if McDonald's didn't have to pay corporate tax? Now, one could argue that it would be better - the federal government would be more accountable - if the working poor realized how much they were indeed paying, but to say that they are paying nothing is ridiculous. There was a study that showed all Americans pay roughly the same amount of overall tax when the dust finally settles - I'll try to find it again and post it.
Nobody is saying they are paying nothing, the fact is that redistribution is called that for a reason. Why can't we all pay the same rate? Why are half of us taxed at one level and not the other.
The truth is that there is a near 50/50 split at the political level and the tax system is the primary cause. If I didn't have to pay Federal taxes, why would I care what they were or if they increased to unbearable levels?
You know the answer.