View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 06:18 PM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by LivingInMEM View Post
Not when compared to the new CH-47/HH-47 CSAR-X (which has much more payload) and/or the new MH-53. In addition, we could get two of these helicopters for the price of one CV-22.
At the same time - the Osprey wasn't suppose to be a replacement for those aircraft - or at least I can say that the MV-22 is not a replacement for the Corps CH-53E heavy lift capability. The MV-22 replaced the CH-53Ds and is currently replacing the CH-46s.

I worked with CH-46s up in the Sierras during Mountain Warfare Training Center (Summer Package) and there were times when I could only plan for a fireteam or so to be moved and we're not talking elevations anywhere near what they are working with over in Afghanistan.

Back when Boeing/Vertol was showing a group of us around the plant in Arlington, TX they had a presentation showing the variety of missions that they envisioned the Osprey perfroming. One was a mini-AC-130 gunship - basically a suite of miniguns mounted out the side of the aircraft like the Spectre and maybe there was even a Cobra/Apache type of nose/chin mounted turrent too. I can't remember if there was refueling version - but they certainly had high hopes for the aircraft. This was 1990 timeframe.

V-22 Osprey: A Flying Shame?

USMCFLYR