View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 12:11 PM
Grumble
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2009

Before you pull the plug on your law enforcement career I would ask if you're department has an aviation dept.

When I went through ERAU, I became really good friends with an older guy like yourself that was going back through and getting his degree. Exact same back ground... law enforcement. However his dept put him through flight training, after he completed his private license on his own. He quit to go get his degree and I think he's flying for Customs now. He showed up at school with a butt load of turbine helo time.

You have to ask yourself in this economy why you want to give up a job that's providing a decent living for you.

If I were in your shoes, I'd find a local FBO to fly at, pay for your training as you go and avoid going into a huge mountain of debt. Look at a distance learning course. If you're near a military base I can almost guarantee you there is an ERAU campus there. Phoenix is also an option.

ERAU does provide a great education, they just shovel a lot of BS and extort starry eyed young high school kids. I know a lot of guys in the military that went Pro Aero as enlisted troops growing up through the distance learning program, and used that degree to get commisioned.