View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 01:30 PM
saabslime
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Worked at the regional level for six years. 5 years at a legacy then furloughed. Spent the last 8 of those 11 years on reserve. Getting furloughed was the best thing that ever happened to me as I don't know if I would have had the balls to pull the trigger to get out myself while still employed. It took me seven months to find a good job but I can't tell you how nice it is to have a "normal" life again and be able to make plans with friends, join softball leagues, look forward to the holidays, be with the family, etc. If I took a recall I'd make roughly twice what I make now but there is value that can't be measured in dollars in being able to do those things. At least for me. The funny thing is I spent my whole adult life chasing the airline career and after being out for a year and a half I can honestly say I don't miss it a bit and can't see that I ever will in the future either. I think happy lives are built by taking note of your values and priorities and structuring everything else around that. When you start to compromise those things for a job you get the bitter or dissappointed attitudes that seem so prevelant nowdays and in the end it just isn't worth it. Good luck to everyone and whatever you decide I hope it's what truly makes you happy.