View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 05:16 PM
dojetdriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: DD->DH->RU/XE soon to be EV

There's a book called "Raid on the Sun" by Rodger W. Claire that talks about that. Some of the writing in it will make you chuckle due to some of the technical inaccuracies about airplanes in general, but overall the book is pretty good.

It not only talks about the mission itself, but the pilots that were selected to fly the first Israeli F-16's as well as the huge amount of intel gathered by the Mossad that played a key role in the success of the mission. Sad that one of the guys that flew the mission was killed in the Columbia accident.

Originally Posted by jungle View Post
Restriction or not-they did it. I suspect they knew they could through General Dynamics or the US Airforce, or perhaps their own testing. I doubt it was a chance play on their part.
It was a few years ago that I read it, but if I remember correctly, from the time the Israeli pilots started training on the F-16 they KNEW that some of the things they were going to be doing on that mission didn't exactly conform to the way the U.S. trained them to operate it.