View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 06:37 AM
Clinton
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2010

thanks for your help guys its helping me along the way to making a right decision to where i should train. i under stand i cant work in the US as im not a citizen unless i get married but it is cheaper to get your license here than europe plus most academies in the US you dont need to take a selection test to see if you pass and get accepted.

so i was thinking of doing my training in the US get all the qualifications, if airlines in europe after that are still not hiring i would then stay and instruct and build my hours etc if they do start to hire by the time i end my training then i would convert my license to a JAA. but by the sounds of it, it sounds like a long process and expensive but isn't converting any license going to be expensive?
i can also do my training in south africa at Pilot Training School - Learn to Fly at 43 Air School, Port Alfred its cheap there but south africa isn't a big country longest flying you'll do maybe in a 737 if you get hired is 3 hours compared to other countries plus there aren't that many airlines there to choose from plus pay is crap as the currency sucks so you working for peanuts compared to what you earning overseas which dont get me wrong is peanuts also right now but im talking about exchange rate.
but from what i hear from other pilots getting training down there isn't considered top notch, so other airlines will not really accept you.

also say a pilot for iberia in spain decides to hand his CV in to Qantas would he be hired. lets just say hes got 10 years experience flying in the airlines, i understand he would be then put to the bottom of the food chain if he changed airlines and be starting from scratch due to seniority and converting his license. but i want to know would he be hired in australia even if he doesn't have a citizenship couldn't you get a work permit/working visa.? if he does get hired wouldn't the airlines pay for the conversion of his license? it sounds like airlines only hire their own country men/women. True or False?

people are saying its time consuming and expensive to convert licenses is that only to convert to a JAA?it pretty much sounds like it
but here is my idea do my training in the US get my ppl FAA and my CPL JAA and frozen ATPL allowing me to go over to europe to work without converting right? most courses have CFI integrated would i still be allowed to do that course during the 18 months of trainaing? incase no airlines are hiring once graduated or if theres no work over there then id stay in the US and instruct and build my hours.
can it be done this way?
any other ideas?

thanks again for your replies they very helpful and giving me a better insight and understanding into the industry in different areas.

safe flying