View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 07:16 AM
yawdamp
Works harder not smarter

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: A320 CA

Originally Posted by gmau18 View Post
Hello, iam enlisted in the air force, getting out in 3 weeks. I have the gi bill to go to pretty much any school that is va qualified. Where should I go and what degree should I get if I would like a future in flying? I can get a free ride through embry riddle but have heard nothing but bad reviews. Can you pilots give me any advice? I have like 6 hours in a cessna and I love it. I would of posted in the training section but there are like 2 people viewing. Thanks a lot!!
I agree with the previous reply. Yet why not be on a aviation campus? It was an amazing experience to be surrounded by other aviation enthusiasts - all with a common goal - to someday work in the aviation business.

People will argue - you may not be able to fly/work for one reason or another (medical, restricted to living in one state/city) - so do not get an aviation degree. But if the government is paying and it truly is your passion - Embry-Riddle is the best of the best. I went for electrical engineering and completed flight training through a local flight school. If I had the money I would have trained with the Embry-Riddle. They train their flight students to airline standards - pass/fail. The alumni base is exceptional in the industry. Guys and gals that love aviation like you who look to Embry-Riddle to hire. When I went tuition at Embry-Riddle was average $$$ compared to other private universities. The flight training is more expensive than most flight schools. Yet the training is again exceptional (I took 2 flight classes while going to college there and they were tough/thorough - better than any training I had in NC, PA, AR, and AZ - all places I lived/worked and paid for 'cheaper' flight training.

Those who went to ERAU love the school. Yet you don't need a degree from ERAU to get hired with the airlines. A non-aviation degree from a local state university is a better decision. But if you are like me, you'll get lost in all of those thousands of students - potentially loosing focus to your flying dreams. It really depends on your focus/ability/etc.

I was furloughed (it will happen to you - it happens to all of us) and was thankful to have gotten the engineering degree.

This is a personal experience - apologize for not helping more. But let me give you some advice. Whatever you decide to do, if you want to fly for the airlines, you need live your life like an airline pilot - integrity, hard work and over acheive in everything you do. The industry is very competive. If youre pationate enough, you will do it! Don't give up and work hard. Be the best that you can be - you'll dreams can come true!

OH - and talk to as many people in the industry as you can. Keep a contact list of all those whom you meet and ask as many questions as you can. We love helping those who want to be in our shoes. We were where you were too!