View Single Post
Old 11-12-2006, 04:41 AM
Texandrvr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: 737 FO

Sorry, I was only trying to make the point that all pilots that fly real IFR no matter the size of the aircraft or crew composition have to be concerned with circling procedures. Anyway, I have seen the case study on a large A/C circling crash and I looked up the case study for you and you got me. It was a 767 not a 747. It's been 3 years since I reviewed the case study at AF Advanced Instrument School and I forgot 1 number. It was Air China flight 129 at Busan, South Korea. Instead of accusing me of making something up you could ask for a reference first. Although I have to admit I made up the 152, I don't know of any specific 152s that have crashed while circling. But I have heard of several small GA and military aircraft that have. The point remains the same anyway, circling is a dangerous maneuver. While most don't take it seriously the fact is it can be a dangerous maneuver and if you are a professional pilot you have a good chance of doing one for real in bad wx around terrain. Or if you are a CFII training someone who may someday be a professional you should impress upon your students the importance of flying a good circling approach (i.e. maintaining MDA and staying inside your circling radius) if you don't then you are only letting your student down.

Last edited by Texandrvr; 11-12-2006 at 05:08 AM.