View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010, 06:04 AM
snippercr
Does NOT get weekends off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: ERJ - 145

Originally Posted by flyingreasemnky View Post
A 135 operation is an expensive endeavor on its own. You will need to hire someone to help you set it up and you will need an IA to oversee your mx program. The 135 cert will require certain things be done that you don't have to do part 91. (Engine overhaul for instance isn't required for 91 but definitely is for 135.) 135's take a lot of paperwork and an in-depth understanding of the regulations. Plus, the FAA will be breathing down your neck on a regular basis.
Ah ha. That explains why I saw a few 310s listed with "2200 Since Major Overhaul" on an engine they listed as "1700 TBO." Obviously it is not safe to go that long without an overhaul but I figured it was a part 23 thing.

To the OP, also spend some time in FAR 119 and 135 to get an idea of how such an operation works. To operate as a PIC part 135 you need 500 hours total to go VFR, 1,200 hours to go IFR (and 500 XC which can be hard to get). In addition, to get your 135 cert, you need a "Director of Operations" a "Chief Pilot" and a "Director of Maintenance." To be qualified to operate those, each needs 3 years experience. For instance, the Chief Pilot needs 3 years experience part 121 or 135. Again, crack open your FARs and read 119 and 135 (at least the first few sections).

While there are a few shortcuts for 135 (read up on single pilot or single PIC operations), getting 135 is extremely daunting. There are companies out there that make a living to help you through the paperwork.

Again, I am not trying to say "NO YOU CANT DO THAT ZOMG!" Just as a fresh student pilot these are some heads up.