View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 02:34 PM
SaltyDog
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Leftof longitudinal

Originally Posted by OKLATEX View Post
Forgive me, but I really don't know much about pay at UPS except the one payscale. I came from the pax side, and obviously more familar/comfortable with it. I would think one reason they have it is to save training cost, reduce people going after pay. I have heard that the most senior plane there was the 727 (assume it is now the bus or 75) and the most junior being the 747.

Just looking at it from the outside, I would think it would take a hit on your quality of life, as there would be little movement. Is that true? I know retirements would make movement, and guys looking for a change would too, but it seems like it would be slow. Is that true, or is there something I am missing.

I just don't see a reason why I would want us to switch, if that ever became an option. Not knocking the UPS pay in anyway, just a lack of knowledge on my part.
No reason for you to switch. Brown drivers don't have to think about pay as a bidding issue. If seniority allows the choice, the focus is on scheduling desires and where one lives tends to drive the bid IMO.
All of us boil like frogs in our own kettles as the temperature heats up. <g>
Just like Preferential Bidding Systems. They become homegrown and difficult to compare between companies because of all the quality of life contractual items tied to the schedule vis a vis the rest of the contract.
In my case, hope we all can get good QOL, and best pay regardless of fleet. With the 8's and 72's gone, only the 757 is a NB.

Wish both unions could get along to drive mutually agreed anchor points in negotiations to leverage a better position for our respective contracts to improve quality of life and pay. After all, we share same backgrounds, same business, same concerns, etc. Should be easy...........