View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 11:43 AM
SoCalGuy
Keep Calm Chive ON

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: Boeing's Plastic Jet Button Pusher - 787

Originally Posted by Superpilot92 View Post
Its been coming for a while imho. Hopefully this will be a good opportunity for the CAL and UAL guys to get a good raise and lock down scope for good!!
That was just about inspiring enough to 'almost' ask for a tissue.....Let's look strictly at the facts as they lay thus far......

Since you brought up the facet of SCOPE, let's address it when looking at a CAL/UAL merger. Looking at the separate CBA's (be it, both concessionary), "one" has a much strong stance of SCOPE protection in protecting mainline flying done by mainline pilots than the other. This mere by-product can been seen as evidence in looking first hand at the furloughed pilots numbers of one camp vs the other.....CAL's 10% (147) vs UAL's 1400+.

Let's also look at the the 'basics of negociations'......Barring ANY snap-back provisions w/in concessionary CBA's, once labor items, work rules, R&I, ect are 'given' back to the company, GOOD LUCK on getting them back ANYTIME soon....especially the topic of SCOPE!! With the domestic flying via RJ's on the UAL route structure, GOOD LUCK on ridding/drastically changing that in a 'post merger' CBA. That business plan brain child has been throughly engrained via Tilton, & is 'here to stay' in one camp's present business model.....and into any future merger. The barn door on RJ's has been opened at UAL never to be fully 're-closed' again.

Over the last 24-36 months, it is blatantly obvious that CAL's mgt wants what UAL pilots have given up.....more RJ flying w/ reduced SCOPE Clause provisions. They have asked for this on multiple occasions. The ONLY thing that has a sliver of hope in the merger, at least CAL's standing CBA/SCOPE is still/presently in place as an 'obstacle', unlike UAL's growth galore domestically with RJ's of 'all sizes & shapes'.

Looking at the facts......DAL/NWA you have a Dick Anderson who displayed 'interest' in running an airline as he (& his mgt teams) worked to make the merger 'positive' (or as much as possible in a merger scenario) for the labor groups coming together. When looking at CAL/UAL you have an M&A Attorney - "Jeffery", and a sub-par at best CEO - Glenn Tilton who has been flapping in the wind w/o showing much interest in running an airline over the last 5+ years. In evaluating the grim surface facts displayed thus far in the CAL/UAL merger possibility, I hope to heck that I am WRONG on what to expect when things 'come together'.....I hope that the "powers to be" in the CAL/UAL marriage (assuming it happens ) will decide to follow the path of proven success that Anderson has displayed, not the floundering in the "idiot ways" of Glenn Tilton's career.

Again, ALL fact up to this point. Hope for the best.....expect the worse.