Old 04-26-2010, 10:12 AM
TonyWilliams
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: Self employed

Originally Posted by minority561 View Post
are airlines going to higher a 300ish hour pilot with 50 hours in a 737-800 type rating but no PIC in type?

Except you won't have any hours in a 737. Period. If you applied to an airline and professed that you did have hours in type, when clearly you don't, I would think the interview would stop right there.

My airline was hiring guys to fly the 737NG with less time than you have, but that was before the pilot world ended about 2 years ago. Right now, we require 500 hours IN TYPE.... that means your butt was sweating in a jet-A burning, Boeing built airplane for 500 hours.

There are the usual Pay-2-Play airlines out there. I think there's one in Morrocco (northwest africa) that does P-2-P in the 737, but I'm very sure that it's a "classic", and not the NG. Might need a JAA license, but not sure.

In general, however, the idea is absolutely insane in the current climate. Heck, why not just do an Airbus 380, or Concorde, or something fun, if you just want to spend money? Some of the old war birds require a quasi type rating, and I'm sure that the foundations like Commemorative Air Force would love to take your money to keep the fleet flying. I did that in the C-46.

And finally, unless you're going to fly outside the USA, you're first airline flying job will NOT be a Boeing anything. It will have props, or be a ERJ, CRJ, MRJ, or somebody RJ. Nobody will require, or care that you have a B737 type. Actually, I'd think they find it odd that you did.