View Single Post
Old 04-29-2010, 06:56 PM
Badgeman
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: Advanced Newbie
Default DA-42 Twin Star as PPL/CPL-Multi Trainer

Recently, my flight school has dropped using a BA-55 Baron as our multi-trainer. I was bummed because I just finished getting my MEI in it and was settling in. NOW, the GM for the school has picked up a DA-42 (Diamond) Twin-Star of all planes. I went up to start getting my 5 hours PIC in the airplane so I could teach in it and the first thing that happens is during an engine out simulation, the G1000 tells us we've had a problem with one of the two computers (ECU's) that controls the left engine (the one still running). The engine hesitates (went to 50% hp) and goes to the back up ECU. TheG1000 now reports that ECU #2 has also failed, but the engine keeps on running. Not in the plane 1 hour and this happens. Needless to say my trust in this tweeked out oddity has been dashed.

Considering it's such an unconventional aircraft, is this even a trainer? Am I just setting my students up for failure when they arrive in The Regional or Part 135 world and ask, "Uh. What are the blue levers (prop controls) for?" I can understand ATP applicants liking it but shouldn't everyone have the rudimentary understandings of prop control? DA-42 lovers, convince me otherwise. Thanks.