View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 03:18 AM
Bashibazouk
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2010
Default They got better over the years

Originally Posted by Badgeman View Post
Considering it's such an unconventional aircraft, is this even a trainer? Am I just setting my students up for failure when they arrive in The Regional or Part 135 world and ask, "Uh. What are the blue levers (prop controls) for?" I can understand ATP applicants liking it but shouldn't everyone have the rudimentary understandings of prop control? DA-42 lovers, convince me otherwise. Thanks.
Is it an early one with the 1.7 litre engines? The 2.0 L models have some of the kinks worked out. Mind you, we've seen our share of engine failures (1), bogus fire warnings (1) and generator failures (1) in 300 hrs of owning a 2.0 L 2008 model. None happened without warning, though...they all gave some hint that something was amiss, but the mechanics were not able to fix these latent failures until they very obviously broke in flight.

As for whether it's a good trainer or not, I leave that up to the CFIs among you. I already had "blue knob" experience when I used a DA42 to add a multi to my commercial, so I didn't miss it, but since it's the only twin I've flown (80 hrs now) I can't tell if I'd be overwhelmed by transition a Baron, 310, Aztec, etc.

I think that training people to fly regional jets was part of its design intent. Aside from the FADEC, its glass cockpit, lots of busses, and the lack of good visual cues ahead of the glareshield were (I'm told...hearsay) intended to prepare future regional jet pilots.

I also have a bit of exposure to the new Austro-engined version, which is intended to fix the engine, gearbox, and ECU woes. So far so good, but we've only got 50 hrs or so on it.