View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 04:40 PM
AirportKid
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2010
Position: C172
Post Joining the military... I think.

Hey guys, my name is Connor and I am 17 and a Jr. in high school and looking to become a pilot (I know what your thinking, “Oh, god, not another one of these!”) I have been lurking on APC for about the last six months, and I have been struggling with how to go about my education, and this is why I have decided to tap into your knowledge and advice. I have been constantly changing my mind over how to pursue my dream of becoming a pilot, and over the last few months I have been strongly thinking about the military, and particularly, the Air Force.
Now, again, let me just say that I am not one of those annoying kids who thinks, “Oh god, I wanna fly fighters!! Well, there’s other flying out there besi--- No!! I wanna fly fighters, and nothing else!” I am here, because I feel that the military is the best route to become a pilot, without being $100K in debt, making $23K my first four years as a regional FO. I also am not looking to become a “250Hr Wonder” by attending a puppy mill such as Riddle or the like, and spending absurd amounts of money on schools with “Connections to the Airlines.”
I am currently juggling two plans right now, so please let me know what you think…
The first is to attend University of Missouri, and get a degree in a non flying field, such as engineering (one that I hear the AF likes, is this correct?). I will enroll in the AFROTC, and continue to get my Bachelors up until I graduate. This accomplishes two things, firstly getting my college paid for, and secondly, getting an Officer rank, once I join up. Then, I am hoping, if I do well in college, to get accepted to UPT. Now the problem with this is as follows: I know that by no means is anything guaranteed, and that getting a pilot slot in the AF is VERY competitive, but I like to think I am a bright kid, and that I could do it with a lot of elbow grease.
My second option is this: To join the AF Academy. Yes, I know that this alone is by no means an easy feat, and that it will be difficult. So my question to you guys is what would be the best way to go about doing this? I am about 90% sure that I can get a recommendation from the MO Senator, Claire McCaskill, because my dad used to work with her chief of staff. I know that this is pretty important. As far as academically speaking, how hard is it to be accepted? I am no genius by any means, and I take moderately difficult classes. My accumulative GPA so far is a 3.33, and that’s with three semesters remaining. I am really hoping to bring this up my last few semesters, because as of last quarter, I am a 4.0, and if I can get a 4.0 on my semester grades, this will raise my GPA quite a bit. Another thing is standardized testing, like the ACT. I have only taken it once, and I got a 22 (I know, not that good.) but I am taking at least three more times by the time I graduate, and will hopefully get a 26-28.
As far as sports and leadership, I have played my entire high school career in Varsity Soccer and Tennis. However, I am no longer able to play soccer, for reasons I will mention below. Another important thing, is that this summer, I am attending a leadership camp called Boys State. I am hoping that the AF will like this…
Now, as far as personal shape. Well, I am 5’10’’ and 180lbs. I guess that makes me a medium build, and I am pretty good shape. I have perfect vision and am not color blind. However…. This is one of my bigger questions, I will just start from the beginning.
Back in mid October, I had a slight incident. I was playing a soccer game ( I am a goalkeeper) and I ran out to block a break away. I slid down, and got drilled in the side of the head by the guys knee. It knocked me out cold. Anyways, they took me to the ICU and I stayed there for a couple days, I had a grade 3 concussion, and they thought I had a slight brain bleed. After I got out of the hospital, I had some problems following. For about three weeks after, I had trouble speaking, and I would basically just lose my train of thought a lot. I also had consistent and really bad migraines. My short term memory also really sucked, and keep in mind, I had NEVER had any problems like this before hand. Anyways, after a few months of hell and tons of medicine and doctors, everything started to get better. It was rather sudden actually, one day at the very beginning of the year, I didn’t have any headaches. Basically everything got better and better, until everything is completely 100% again.
Oh yea, this happened the weekend before I was supposed to solo for the first time. Now I am in perfect health once again, but I am afraid to go and get my medical because of this. I have written letters from my neurologist and my regular doctor, saying I am completely fine, and that there are no residual effects what so ever! Will this be enough? Will the ME freak out when I tell him this? I am terrified that I wont pass because of this, for whatever reason, even though I am perfectly healthy now… Back to the original question… Could this have any impact upon me being accepted to UPT? And lets say I do attend the AF Academy, or do the AFROTC, but I DON’T get sent to UPT, what happens? I am still stuck in the Air Force? This is what I am most afraid of, have to serve with out doing something I enjoy… Another thing, is I am currently starting to fly again, and so far I only have twelve hours ($7.25 an hour makes lessons take a loooong time lol) I am hoping to solo soon as well, I just have to get my medical. Does the AF give priority, or think better of a person with previous flying experience, such as my private? I have heard both ways, and hopefully you guys can shed some light on this.
My goal is to become a military pilot, one way or the other. I really think this is my best option, and I would love to fly absolutely anything, whether its tankers, transport, cargo, or whatever, I just want to fly. I am also hoping, that this would be a good bridge to getting to a major once I am done, because from what I hear, theres no better experience than military flying… I know that the industry is horrid right now, and I know that a lot of you are unhappy about the job right now, but once again, any and all advice is welcome.
Well, I think that is about it for now, I really look forward to hearing what you guys have to say.

Thx,
Connor