View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Polarfr8dog
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2007
Position: 767 Captain

Originally Posted by SKYKN6 View Post
In Shanghai for a couple of days so we looked into a visit to the Expo. Day 3 200RMB plus 6RMB subway ride. OK so far... The catch is you have to stand in line to get ticket, THEN stand in line to get reservation to get in. Each pavillion has reservations to get in. Hotel can get package deal for 280rmb($40+) to get past the first line but all other lines apply. When we drove by yesterday on the bridge we could see that approximately one third of the country's population was already there. This makes the disneyland lines look good on a busy day. Maybe it will get better in a few months but for right now it is more fun to be harassed by the vendors in the 580 market. Now for the really fun news.....Security is really tight throughout Shanghai. Xray machines to EXIT the airport, xray machine and real police to enter the layover hotel(UPS/FDX) and can I mention the 200km airspace restriction and heavy air traffic? The wx is great in AK and I can bid to avoid this place til December. Sorry to rain on the parade Vagabond. Death BY Meat (Brazil steakhouse) tonight!

We're at the Sheraton right on the river and all the above applies. Especially, the security at the hotel. I'm paranoid about public trasnportation with these type of event so took a cab and found some good food. I was going to venture over there yesterday but after talking to the concierge and hearing about all the lines I said no thanks. Instead found a cheap bottle of Barcardi and had my own Expo!