Old 05-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Take Priority
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: 777 Cap
Thumbs up Yep

Originally Posted by SoCalGuy View Post
SIDE NOTE & FOOD FOR THOUGHT.....

It's 'great' that everyone is sharing their ideas on how a 'healthy/fair' SLI should shake down....especially all those directly involved in the "NEW UAL". I would dare guess that for a majority of the pilots on the combine list, this would be their first "Legacy/Major" SLI integration/merger. For the other half of 'seasoned vets', I would also dare to say this is the biggest integration (size wise) to date that any of us have taken part. When looking at it in this mind-set, it's completely on par that tensions are 'high' on the final SLI outcome.....up-front, everyone has to respect that.

I can't speak for the UAL side of the house.....but on the CAL side, our MEC Chairman Jay Pierce sent out communications last night regarding the merger. In distribution, he was clear in saying that the first order of business is tackling a "Joint CBA". He went on to state the SLI is something that will come 'later'/secondary (after the JCBA is ratified/resolved), but make no mistake about it, the first order of business is the JCBA.

With this agenda being set forth, it is loud and clear that both groups need to "come together NOW" regardless of how/or what you feel about the impending SLI to come. I will be the first to admit, this has to be a conscious decision, and not easy to do so when SLI business is still in the 'wind'. One thing is for certain on this merger, if WE (The NEW UAL) do not put outside SLI differences aside (for a short time), and concentrate 110% on the JCBA, our future as a joint pilot group will be grim at best.

Make no mistake, MGT knows that the SLI is something that many are 'pondering', and they will 'attempt' to use that to their advantage by 'distraction' in the upcoming negotiations. It is abundantly obviously that we are 'hell bent' in obtaining the CBA that we all deserve (rules/pay/retirement/ect...). As we embark on this course, we MUST to secure three things bar-none:
1) SOLID SCOPE that protects mainline positions at the NEW UAL.
2) Addressing/securing/eliminating foreign/JV flying that jeopardize future job security for all UAL pilots.....starting with first shot of Lingus IAD-MAD.
3) Most importantly/professionally say "FUPM" as a single group to our new MGT friends up in ORD.

In closing....if we don't not take care of this JCBA up-front as ONE SOLID VOICE, the SLI could be of little consequence in the future when Jeff/Glenn begin 'selling out' UAL Mainline Pilot Jobs as we have seen up to this point.

Just my $.02 cents......RESUME the thread & save some energy for the JCBA.
As a 14 year UAL guy I couldn't agree more, lets not forget who is with us and who is against us.

What we can do is get a JCBA that helps us all,
What we can't do is change how the SLI goes. There is a process, let it take its course.

TP