View Single Post
Old 11-15-2006, 06:46 AM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Corporate pilot

Originally Posted by doug_foo View Post
Ok guys, I am very new to this site but I'm very interested in becoming a Corporate pilot. I've talked to several pilots (airlines&corporate) and here is what they tell me. A pilot for the Airline (Skywest) told me that their are not very many jobs for Corporate pilots and the pay is better at the airlines. A Corporate pilot told me that the starting pay is that of a caption at the airlines. He told me their are a ton of jobs out there for corporate pilots.
I don't know what to do. I'm in the process of looking into flight schools in Western Colorado. I would really like to work as a pilot for a corporate company. Are their any corporate pilots out there willing to talk to me privately about this major career move?
The spectrum is large for a corporate pilot. Most don't get paid or treated well at all. A few are treated like royalty. The difference is mostly luck.

My last job offer to fly a corporate King Air paid 30K and I was expected to work in the potato shed during times when there was little flying to do. No thanks !!

No matter how you slice it it is a risky venture. The good news is that some predict that the Very Light Jet will spawn a huge need for small town corporate pilots. We will have to wait and see but I can't imagine the job would pay very well.

SkyHigh