View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 02:01 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

[QUOTE=johnnysnow;808949]
Originally Posted by Tchinson View Post

I don't know about a flight review in a Multi-Engine airplane as a CFI ASEL. I would say that that is a no-go, but I'll leave that one for some one else. As far as instrument instruction or IPCs in a multi-engine airplane by a CFII without an MEI, the answer is certainly yes. Of course, you must hold at least a multi commercial to exercise that privilege. Look on the back of your certificate and you will see that it says "Flight Instructor-Airplane Single Engine, Instrument Airplane". The Flight Instructor Instrument rating gives you instrument instructor privileges in any airplane that you have commercial privileges for. In short, "Instrument Airplane" covers the entire Category of Airplane and there for falls within the parameters of 61.195(b)(1). Proof of that is the fact that the CFII can not only be the first instructor certificate you hold, but also the only instructor certificate you hold. In addition, the CFII as the initial instructor check ride can be done in either a single engine airplane or a multi engine airplane, and when you receive your ticket it will say, "Flight Instructor-Instrument Airplane". But don't take my word for it; just go ask your local FSDO. But remember to ask if it's legal, not whether they would advise it or not.
This is correct...flight instruction towards an instrument rating, currency, or an IPC requires only the CFI-Airplane certificate, which is valid in any airplane for which you hold appropriate commercial privileges.

Flight instruction towards other certs/ratings and proficiency such as landings, BFR, etc requires a CFI Airplane with the appropriate numner of engines. But even the CFI-airplane is only partially class-specific...it specifies single or multi-engine but not land or sea. There is no seaplane instructor rating, you only need seaplane on your commercial and a CFI-airplane (SE or ME as appropriate).