Thread: Cathay Pacific
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 08:30 AM
12th Man
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2007

I don't work for Cathay, but I know several who do, and I see and meet their pilots as I fly around the world. It's a top-drawer, rigorous & standardized training program, they fly modern, relatively new, all-glass wide-bodies, and they give you the chance to see the world.

Ask yourself why you want to be a pilot. Do you want to sit at the gate in, say, Oklahoma City, look over at your captain while he's eating pilfered instant-oatmeal from the Holiday Inn Express and think, "Woo-hoo! Next stop: Shreveport!!", or do you want to start out on a -400 flying from HKG; wondering if you're going to have schnitzel or rolladen tonight in Frankfurt?

Should you end up disliking it or wanting to move back to West Lafayette, the fact that you made it through their training program, your 747-400 or A340 SIC time, and your considerable international operating experience will be more meaningful to any prospective employer than thousands of hours flying a Saab between Muscle Shoals & Tupelo.

This is a no-brainer: in my mind's eye, there's absolutely no question but to take the position at Cathay.