Thread: Cathay Pacific
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 12:18 PM
marcal
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2005

Originally Posted by myoface View Post
Word of caution....read the fine print with regards to the Cadet program. I think you give up all housing allowances and maybe schooling allowances as well. Not to familier with the new cadet program, but I understand it has changed alot....and not for the better.
One Hundred Percent Accurate.

Ask yourself this......why has CX always been a premier place to work? Because historically they paid the best and provided the best benefits to LURE THE MOST EXPERIENCED EXPATRIATES TO LIVE AND WORK IN HONG KONG. What CX is doing by opening the cadet program to everyone is a training and recruitment PARADIGM shift.

Remember three years ago, when all the regionals dropped their mins to recruit instead of increasing pay? This is CX's way of doing the same thing.

You may want to live in Hong Kong, one of the most expensive cities on earth without housing allowances. I know 1000+ HK based Cathay pilots that do not. That is why they are there. Not to get widebody time or glass time. It is too make more money than they could at home.

The new cadet program DOES NOT OFFER that. If you think 20-30K in the US is bad, 50-60K USD in Hong Kong is atrocious.

Best of luck. Oh by the way, you may want to go to pprune.org and ask a current SO how fast his three year upgrade is coming. Do not forget, that the upgrades are driven by growth and retirements. CX is growing, albeit, on a snails pace at the moment, and we have just raised the retirement age to 65 from 55 for the majority. It is a relatively young pilot group with plenty of mid 30 year old captains who started as SO's like you may. Except they get housing allowance, school allowance, and so on and so forth.

In all honesty, most CX pilots accept the locals doing this program b/c it is their only way in. But to see expats willing to do it for nothing is cringe worthy. But really who is to blame? You, a motivated young pilot like we all once were? Or a management that is willing to prey on your willingness?

Best of luck.