View Single Post
Old 05-14-2010, 05:00 PM
Alighted
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2009
Position: B737 FO
Default Can be done

I've made the jump from flying to non-flying and back again. I'll be the first to admit it wasn't easy, but it can be done with some strategy and perseverance.

I moved from making zero dollars as an air charter owner/operator, to being a senior financial analyst for a large tech company. It took roughly 4 to 6 months to get into that position, and jobs were plentiful then. I couldn't begin to guess what the time line would look like now.

Some of the things that worked on my resume were:

1. Writing a functional resume, or a functional / chronological resume. Chronological with long descriptions does not suit a career changer.

As another poster mentioned, find out what keywords are important for your industry, find experience in your history with those keywords and highlight it.

Don't use ANY aviation jargon: Part 121, performance, weight & balance, PIC, SIC, etc. in your job descriptions -- they won't have the slightest idea what you're talking about.

2. Downplay the "pilot" title. For instance, you can format your resume to just list the airline/aviation company name, location and dates of employment. Pilot job descriptions are irrelevant if you are going for an accounting job.

3. Pilot experience that is valuable to the majority of employers (and can be discussed when you are asked during the interview):

The fact that you are:
>detail oriented
>responsible (I especially liked to use something to the effect that if A company can entrust their multi-million dollar aircraft and senior management to me as a pilot, then it seems reasonable that you can trust me to do your job too)
>professional
>trainable
>able to multi-task
>etc.

4. Keep the resume emphasis squarely on the job you seek, not piloting. This will get you further along that most anything else.

5. Freshen your accounting experience on your resume. Volunteer, join some association, etc. to show your re-commitment to accounting.

5. At the interviews, downplay the pilot jobs, minimize the pilot discussion, and re-direct the conversation back to accounting. If you spend the interview time discussing flying, it will have been an interesting discussion likely, but probably won't get you a callback.

Keep at it. If you've learned nothing else as a pilot, you've learned to persevere.

Good Luck!