Old 05-17-2010, 06:48 PM
WMU av8tor
On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2010

Originally Posted by detpilot View Post
If the weather is VMC, why go through the hassle of filing IFR (especially to an uncontrolled airport)?

Also, out of curiosity, why rent out of BEH when AZO and 35D have rentals available, without the hour and a half drive?

I appalud you getting experience outside of wmu, too many of our students don't take advantage of the opportunity to get real world experience.
I'm assuming you have some affiliation w/ WMU due to the way you worded the last part of your message. As i'm sure you know WMU's SR20's are top of the line with all the avionics (R9 transition!) but I want to try and get into the a/c ferrying business before I try for a airline/corporate flight job. If I'm successful in that endeavor then I wont always get a glass cockpit gps equipped a/c, so I'm using this basic C172 to get that experience starting in VFR wx then moving into Marginal VFR then actual IFR WX. I just want more confidence in the system (I only did 2 flights at WMU on an IFR flightplan and both were in VFR) so that's why I file IFR now whenever I fly the C172.

I live near BEH (got my private licence there in a flying clubs C172 and am still a member) My whole freshman year I commuted from the BEH area to AZO or BTL as classes required. I could do the drive one way in a hour and at the end of the year actually saved $2500 since I didnt have to pay for a dorm! I still rent from my flying club at BEH because I cant find a decent plane in the area that rents at $80 and hour wet tach time