View Single Post
Old 05-18-2010, 04:21 PM
FlyerJosh
Chief Jeppesen Updater

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Executive Transport Driver

It is a very good start. The important thing is to adjust accordingly based on currency and proficiency with the aircraft you are flying.

I fly C172 and C182 aircraft regularly with the Civil Air Patrol. That said, if I'm solo in an aircraft that is not equipped with an autopilot, my own personal minimums preclude me from flying IMC at night when the weather is below 1000' and 3SM.

My minimums change on a sliding scale based on familiarity of airport/procedures/terrain, aircraft equipment and automation, day vs night, and the urgency of the trip. If there are factors that are pressing me to go (getthereitis), I automatically add 1/2 mile and 500' to my personal minimums.

The FAA has a good Advisory Circular and AOPA has some good training materials about creating personal minimums. As I stated before, one of the most important things to do is to continuously evaluate your minimums and adjust them accordingly. That said, your minimums should not change prior to a flight based on various factors affecting that flight (IE conveniently changing them to allow a "go" decision).