View Single Post
Old 05-18-2010, 05:19 PM
snippercr
Does NOT get weekends off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: ERJ - 145

Those are very good and well thought out minimums. More or less, they are what our school limits our students on for solo IFR cross countries. Although we determine "known ice" as visible moisture near or below freezing. So it could be OVC at 3,000 but 2 degrees at the surface and -4 aloft and we call that "known ice."

After one very bad encounter with ice, I have pretty strict personal limitation with ice - has to be forecasted 2 degrees above freezing at or above my maximum cruise. For instance, winds aloft are forecasted 3,6,9,12000 feet. So if I want to fly at 4,000 then the 6,000 has to be 2 degrees or higher throughout the entire route of flight AND forecasted period. I use to also have another part - the temperature ALSO had to be 2 degrees following standard lapse rate. So a flight at 5,000 feet would require it to be 12 degrees at the surface (10 degrees plus 2). With all that, I am VERY strict about ice. I don't even want to mess around.

Clouds and visibility? Generally I will go with just about anything. I'd like to have a "take off alternate" - that is an airport within 30 minutes that I am pretty sure I can get into. But if not, I say no lower than the highest minimum for the favoring runway. That way I have at least 2 systems to get in on if the airport is so equipped.

Like I said, I am MUCH more conservative about ice than clouds/visibility. I am much more confident in my IFR flying skills than I am in my iced airplane skills. In fact, skills really won't help too much when your aircraft is iced up. Therefore, I just avoid ice all together.

/soapbox