View Single Post
Old 11-16-2006, 11:31 AM
TonyC
Organizational Learning 

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner

Originally Posted by bar10dah View Post

Perhaps, I'm overlooking it, but I'm not seeing a search function. I want to look up information on sleep apnea, but didn't want to ask a question that has already been answered.

So at the risk of starting a new thread:

I'm 32 (today) and have one year left in the Air Force. I'm not a pilot, but have been thinking of going to flight school to pursue a career as a commercial pilot. I understand my age really will not play too much of a factor in getting a job, but I fear that having sleep apnea may affect it.

I talked to a school, and the advisor said he has apnea, but still flies. But, that doesn't help me in my situation. Will an airline hire me with sleep apnea? Sure, I can get a third class medical certificate to become a student pilot, but how about when I'm ready to go commercial? Anyone with experience in this?

You have to have a certain number of posts before you can use the Search function. I searched using "apnea" and the only thread that came up was this one, so I assume it hasn't been discussed on this board.

I don't know exactly how to present this without coming across as delivering a sales pitch for another site, but I'll try. That's not my intent. I just want to help you with an answer. *************.com hosted a chat with Dr. Phil Parker of Virtual Flight Surgeons, Inc. (www.AviationMedicine.com). First he recommended searching their site using the keyword function to find their article that discusses the FAA policy on apnea.

Then he says the FAA considers any degree of Sleep Apnea disqualifying. It requires a Special Issuance Authorization or waiver. He talks about a "Maintenance of Wakefulness" test that is required to get that SIA or waiver. He siad the FAA policy is likely based on the fact that sleep apnea can result in increase risk for cardiovascular problems including sudden death.

Of course, they offer services to pilots to deal with this condition, and extend a 5% discount to PPW members.

Good luck!