View Single Post
Old 11-26-2005, 04:22 PM
Irish Pilot

Originally Posted by ToiletDuck
I went to college and majored in aviation to be a pilot. I am being hired tomorrow as a CFI where I plan to continue until I obtain my main goals. I would not had made it this far were it not for dreams. If you don't like it. Don't do it...This is what we like and we will defend it. You don't chose to be an aviator. It sounds like you chose.
With all due respect, you are pretty new to the industry. Wait until you have put in your year or so of 12 hour days instructing for pennies only to find out you have to take a pay cut to go to a regional, move to some random spot on the US that you dont really want to live, and to live with 5 other guys until you upgrade and can afford to split an apartment. All this while you watch your friends purchasing houses, saving for retirement, starting families.

Yeah but you want to be a pilot!

Look at whats happening to the majors. Have you thought about your retirement? Have you thought about what you are going to do when you are 45 years old, on your 5th airline starting over for no coin, living in yet another town you dont enjoy and trying to commute home...not to mention you have NO retirement plan or funds and you never see your family if you are fortunate enough to have one?

Im not saying it works out like this for everyone, but I know PLENTY of people who have the passion for flying but got out because of what would have been in store for them, and I wont let you ruin their good name because you think people who want something different for themselves "dont like it."

Get real kid, because you are soon to see the real world of flying. And one day you may realise that its not right for you even though you still have the passion. Are you going to consider yourself as not loving the industry as much as an instructor just getting started and hoping to "make it."

Dont be that guy.