View Single Post
Old 11-26-2005, 04:52 PM
Irish Pilot

Oh and FlyBye...if you find it to be right for you to seek a career outside of aviation stick with your guns! For you it may be more important to have a stable job, to be around your family as often as possible, etc. I do encourage you though...dont let anyone (here or elsewhere) lead you to believe that because they have continued flying that they have more passion than you. Its all about priorities and simply luck of the draw.

Anyone who belittles you or your devotion to flying quite simply has personal issues. These people are flying because of an image more than a passion. If they talk down to you because you found it important to get out of flying that is an IMMEDIATE implication that they think they are better than you because they are a pilot! Guess what!? They not only have a whole lot of growing up to do, but they also are in for a big surprise someday.

These people are ruining the career because of their attitude. These are usually the same people who just want to be able to say they are pilots, who will work for peanuts just to sit in a shiny jet, etc... These people are so devoted to an ideal that they may not see what is really important in life.

Now for the disclaimer...

I am not saying that those of us who are still in the industry are people who dont know whats important or that everyone in aviation will end up bending over to keep the dream alive. I am not saying we love our families any less because we take a career that keeps us away from home. I am not saying we dont have the desire to be financially stable. The truth is that the odds are simply not in our favor. Who knows what the future of aviation will hold? NOBODY! All we can do is look at what its taught us so far...

It is possible you will spend the next 25 years in flying only to....

...be furloughed in average of 3 times
...to find yourself with NO retirement savings of any kind
...to have drug your family all over the states from company to domicile etc.
...to find yourself in the "bigs" only to find yourself furloughed
...miss your kids growing up (birthdays, games, holidays, etc.)
...to find yourself in the "bigs" only to have the company go under.
...to be 45 years old with tons of debt STILL and have NO SAVINGS!

It is also possible you will...

...find a great corporate department near home that has a fairly regular schedule
...find a job early with suitable pay
...make it to a surviving "major" with lots of money (whatever you consider that to be)
...etc.

Even though I truly LOVE flying I do believe the first of the two scenarios to be more likely unfortunately.

No matter what the case me be each and every one of us has to look at our priorities and make a decision in life. To take the gamble with aviation or to go for the more sure thing. (seemingly)

Long story short the most important thing is respect your decision and the decision of others. If you look down on your brother who decided on life outside of flying you are nothing more than an *********, and you are no brother of ours.

(stepping down off the box.)