Thread: Looking Back
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2010, 09:25 AM
BushwickBill
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2009
Position: BE-20 PIC

I thought bush flying was super cool until I was in Togiak AK and I checked it out first hand. I was lucky that there was a hiring boom at that point and I could get a job in the lower 48. I love the outdoors but I couldn't leave AK fast enough. Take it from me there are two kinds of people those who should stay in AK and those who should leave right away.

As far as "smoking pot and chasing girls" I guess I've had my cake and eaten it. Pot doesn't do much for me but big waves and boobies do.

Still I wish I had worked hard at getting a masters in science so I could have pursued a career as a meteorologist. What I can't stand about aviation is the lack of stability. Even if you think everything is going great something will smack you down with no warning. Right now I'm waiting on an email that could determine if I still have a job tomorrow. All because of a MX issue that was out of the blue with no warning.

It's funny when I teach instrument flying and people complain about the weather lessons I can't even understand them. After 6 years of professional aviation I would love to be a meteorologist. Stable job, you can be wrong most of the time (it seems to me anyway) and it is never dull or boring.

I think one of the strangest things about how our society works is that 18 year old kids are forced to pick a career when they don't have the slightest clue about how they would like to earn a living.