Thread: Looking Back
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2010, 11:29 AM
SaltyDog
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Leftof longitudinal

Originally Posted by SkyHigh View Post
From my experience most airlines are filled with disgruntled pilots who hate their job at times. ...
How is that an equitable system of information exchange? It is human nature to avoid painful memories or experiences. ..... New pilots never get to hear about the downside yet they are surrounded daily with people who have traveled the same roads to their destruction.

The flag wavers are out there everyday spreading false hope and inaccurate information. More pilots should be here to express their hardships. You refer to my words as being bitter. I am just being honest. It is not common to hear the harsh reality that is not being sugar coated.

Skyhigh
Most jobs are filled by people who are exasperated or "hate" their jobs at times. That is not a distinguishing mark unique to airline pilots. Imagine coal miners, warehouse managers, deckhands, construction workers, Doctors, etc experience these characteristics. Poorly defined nor unique so applies to all jobs. Next....

In my youth, was hit by naysayers like you. Your predecessors did their best to dissuade me from even attempting the rigors of aviation. They failed, thankfully. I did listen to the ones who were not bitter though, they taught me to not get a degree that was worthwhile outside of flying (Got an engineering degree as a backup). They suggested many aspects of aviation that may be enjoyable and compatible to my dreams. I did not consider them failures, but sages. They had tried, hit by challenges, made decisions like you. Those thresholds are different for all of us. You suggest that your experience applies across the board. Wrong.
I do not mentor (for 25+ years) folks with bad facts or rosy glasses. I also do not steal dreams. You try to steal dreams and that is why you don't see your bitterness. You appear to nurture your anger. You have such potential; to be a rational voice and way forwward in post airline careers. You just smash dreams though to the best of your ability and rationalize that anyone who encourages an aviation career is spreading false hope. These innacuracies reduce your credibility with everyone.