Thread: Tattoos
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2010, 09:06 PM
Oldog
Apteryx

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Originally Posted by jgdeleon09 View Post
Hey guys, well I just wanted to ask you guys who been in it for a long time in the career, I'm finishing right now CFI and hopefully soon would like to work my self up to a regional and then major of course, but my question is this, I've been in the military now for a long time and for like 8 years now I wanted to get a tattoo, (military tat) but one of the reasons I haven't is cause of my future. Do the airlines really care about this? cuz honestly if they don't I'm getting it done like next week, other wise I will hold on. I know that the military does care about this, so that's why I'm asking.

Thanks
The airlines vary, but many tend to look at tatoos and similar personal adornment from the viewpoint of their most conservative passengers. If a significant proportion of the pax would find them offensive, unsettling, or inappropriate, tats will probably stand in your way.

As another poster mentioned, long sleeve shirts covering arm tats were necessary to keep the company happy. If you've just gotta have a tattoo, somewhere out of view when in uniform would be the best bet. The bottom line is, you need to make yourself more attractive to the airline than the other folks in the hiring queue.