Thread: Looking Back
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2010, 07:50 AM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Married?

Are any of you guys married? I have placed my life on display here for all to see. I bet that most of you have circumstances that if honestly revealed would make for interesting conversation and would explain a lot about the attitudes you have. Divorced maybe? Single and never been married perhaps? Broke? Kids will not speak to you anymore and call another man daddy.

It seems to me that some pilots who have given it all and have few friends, family or wealth are placed into a position of ardently defending aviation over facing the harsh reality that they blew it on an irrational obsession. They are married to the job and do not want to acknowledge even to themselves what they had to give in trade for the left seat.

Somewhere along the line I began to realize the growing opportunity cost of my career. A job should not be so hard or demand so much. At some point I had to choose life over my dream. It should not have to be that way. I thought I was buying into a profession to build my life upon. Instead I entered into a career that demands the extermination of everything else I held dear in order to keep climbing the ladder.

I spent 20 years and my best efforts in the pursuit. It is my life's work. I am understandably upset and disappointed by my chosen career. Others need to know what they are getting into.

Skyhigh