View Single Post
Old 05-30-2010, 07:57 AM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default I agree.

Originally Posted by Dan64456 View Post
Interesting... For me, my status and position become less important as I age, and my friends I see less and less of and more so, my family, become more important. I don't have a wife and kids either. The older I get, the more I realize that money and material things only go so far. And that's not very far at all. The stress that comes along with being fake to make all this money outweighs the prize in my opinion. The alternative is to be born into it, like a majority of my generation who are trust fund babies. I always tell them to go ahead and eat their 85 dollar filet's, and I guarantee you the 15 bux I spend at Outback will go further. And I will have an even better time because I can be myself and not put on some charade to pretend I care about the position my fork and knife is in. Plus I'd rather drink the 22 ounce Fosters than the overpriced red wine. Most 'premium' things in life are simply marked up exponentially for the rich anyway. They may only be 1.5 times as good, but cost 20 times more. I'd rather have peace of mind than status... and making a ton of money is not peace of mind. Loving what you do and the people in your life - probably is.
I agree however danger lies in selling yourself short to justify making a bad decision. The best things in life do not come from money however it does take a sizable amount of cash to properly fund a family, retirement and life.

We are not talking about $85 dollar steaks but the ability to provide for yourself, and family, and to justify the investment made in training, education and sacrifice. Aviation should pay far more and offer greater stability for what it takes to get there and to stay there.

Skyhigh