snippercr
Does NOT get weekends off
close
  • Joined APC
    Jul 2007
  • Position
    ERJ - 145
Quote:
Most professionals would not recommend ATP, especially in light of pending regulatory changes which might greatly increase the minimum flight experience required to obtain an airline job. You need to learn a LOT about the various types of training programs available before you make a decision, and not get sucked in by a flashy ad in Flying magazine or a google search.
How would the pending changes (1500 hours for 121 gig) affect going to one flight school to another? Coming out of ATP you have your Comm multi, just like you would out of Bobs school - you're still going to have to find a way to get the hours. If you get your CFI you can then build your time after you already have a considerable amount of multi time and then you should be in a good spot. I didn't go to ATP (nor could I have) but sometimes wish I would have because coming out you have a lot of multi time and if you become a CFI, you give a lot of multi instruction time.

However, most people recommend the "slow, non-pilot mill" route which is the most practical - get a job in something else (since everything else pays more than aviation) and use that money to slowly get your ratings and certs. Get your CFI and teach lazy eights for a few years, get on with a 135 gig to get multi then apply for a 121 job.