Old 06-04-2010, 02:28 PM
Cubdriver

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: ATP, CFI etc.

Airplane manufacturers in this segment are keenly interested in retaining customers and will go to great lengths in order to keep them. Sometimes they will even develop a new airframe if it does the job. It is a wise and proven strategy to spend lots of money to retain customers and Cirrus has a strong customer base with its carbon fiber airplanes- and this jet almost certainly will go into production. The question in my mind is, would anyone besides a former SR22 owner want one, and I doubt it. Commercial operators are not going to be interested because of the low performance numbers. In addition, Diamond is going strong developing a competitor model, and there is always the possibility that Eclipse Aerospace (formerly Eclipse Aviation) is likely to make one as well in a few years. I think this jet will not sell well. As for the quality, it probably be as good as the other Cirrus models. The hope is that by extending the product line, a larger and more profitable model may ensue in the form of a twin jet. This is the best reason for doing it in my opinion. It requires a lot of luck and long range planning.