View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010, 09:24 AM
Splash
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2010
Position: Boeing Boss

Originally Posted by Hiwaymiles View Post
But, it was reasonable to assume that there would be good times, and bad times, that the company would try to screw me, and that the union would try to protect me, and that the longer I stayed, the higher I would go on the list.
A reasonable assumption in a closed-looped system, but you don't operate in one of those. You operate in a system with too many variables and too many external factors for your assumption to be reasonable. Your actual system includes other pilots with similar reasonable assumptions. The necessary combination of reasonable assumptions can lead to a situation where there can be no "win-win" between the competing, reasonable assumptions.

You went through one of those.

I went through two.

Originally Posted by Hiwaymiles View Post
Who else is going to protect my interests if not my union? But, it turns out that union I paid to protect me decided that the last few years of my career, at my airline, would be spent jerking gear for guys and gals hired many years after me, some of whom were in middle school when I got hired.
Incorrect premise!

Your union decided that they couldn't decide, so they sent it to a neutral third-party. That is all they decided!

How do you suggest future conflicts between reasonable assumptions get settled? Give me your model for resolving the looming conflict between reasonable assumptions at UAL-CAL, for example. If your model includes some form of commitment to accept a decision by a third party because the two principals can't reach one - you should see the problem.

USAPA will never be trusted. That is not a reasonable assumption. It's a fact.