Thread: Looking Back
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 02:19 PM
Airhoss
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: Sleeping in the black swan’s nest.

Originally Posted by TonyWilliams View Post
I'm considering this bike over the KTM 530-EXC. Fuel injection, closer ratio transmission, rear linked suspension (like Japanese bikes), really good Japanese front forks (new for this year). Discuss.

My KTM is a 530 XCW with a street legal kit on it.

I talked to my brother who is a certified motorcycle mechanic long and hard before buying the KTM.

Here was his take on it. He doesn't like fuel injection on dirt bikes because the fuel pump is in the tank and eats up much needed fuel capacity. But admits that if you are riding where you are doing major altitude changes like here in Colorado Fuel injection is a better way to go.

My bike has a manual fuel enrichment knob on the bottom of the carb so I can set the mixture at will. Not huge deal for me not having fuel injection.

Forks my bro owns a WR450 and is doing fork seal rebuilds about once a month on it the forks on the WR are junk in his opinion. I've got a buddy who has a CRF 450 and has the same problem with it. But these dudes really ride hard so that probably has something to do with it.

The bro tells me that if you are diligent about bleeding your forks on the KTM you shouldn't have any problems. I replaced the bleed screws with push button bleeders. Push button, bleed forks ride on!

As far as the rear suspension I don't know enough to comment on it other than the fact that the KTM is the smoothest most stable yet radically capable dirt bike I've ever ridden. My bro agrees with that statement he compares the Jap bikes to KTM as a Pinto to a Ferrari. I don't know If I'd go that far but it sure as heck is a sweet handling responsive bike.

I don't know squat about the Husky but it sure as heck looks cool! It ought to be raging dirt converting screamer that's for sure!!