Old 06-09-2010, 02:38 PM
Gajre539
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: EMB-170 FO

Originally Posted by edmond View Post
For the IPH (Instrument Procedures Handbook) and IFH (Instrument Flying Handbook), which one I should study first?
I would suggest that you start with the Instrument Flying Handbook.

One more question. I found this IFR training audio CD offers by GLEIM
Gleim Aviation: Instrument Pilot Products

I am interested in it as I do a lot of driving in my part time job, but I am curios how much I could learn from listening by paying that US$70.00 dollars. Please advise.
You need to be able to focus your time and all of your attention to this, it isn't something that I would recommend you do while driving.

It seems that every one has different recommendation when it comes to studied materials. Can anyone tell me more your personal experience for those materials, if you have any, such as what you like or dislike about those materials. I would appreciate that.
I work at a Cessna Pilot Center and all except one pilot (out of 15) disliked the King's Cessna videos. They look like they were made in the 80s and unless you are in your 40s (no offense to older people learning to fly) you won't appreciate their humor used in videos. I found King's school videos to be boring and distracting. A few of my students tried the Sporty's videos and they were just as boring and distracting as Kings, not to mention the music was annoying.

I prefer my information to be presented in a professional manner, with graphics so I can remember and recall what I see. This way I don't have to re-learn the information that was presented in the video because it wasn't presented correctly or completely the first time (law of primacy) or contained distractions or were so boring that I didn't want to go back to it (law of readiness).

You can watch video samples here:
Kings - YouTube - IFR Exam Course - KING SCHOOLS Video
Sports - YouTube - Instrument Proficiency Check - Training Video from Sporty's Pilot Shop
If you can handle these, more power to you... I know that I can't take this for hours.

If you want videos, save your money and rent them:
- SmartFlix, Jeppesen-Instrument-Commercial-Video-Series
- SmartFlix, Jeppesen-Chart-Training
- SmartFlix, King's Instrument Rating
- Welcome to JUST PLANE VIDEOS Secure Shopping.....Rent Aviation Training Tapes !

If you want, send me a PM, I'll rip a section of a Jeppesen DVD and e-mail it to you. In the end, it comes down to preference. Try them all and see which one you like.

Last edited by Gajre539; 06-09-2010 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Added link