Old 06-11-2010, 10:21 AM
pilot1278
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2009
Default ..

Gajre539 pretty much summed up what I was going to say.

"Although the printed materials provide all professional details, I strongly feel the video can help to reinforce and accelerate my learning process through visual experience"

True. Everyone learns a different way. For the IFR ticket, I made use of a set of King DVD's, a Jeppesen book, and the FAA books. Here's my experience:

King vids - Every single time I popped in one of the king videos, I would eventually fall asleep. I'm not kidding. I am a visual learner, and I loved the king videos for the PPL, but the IFR stuff they had was boring. I would close my eyes to "rest" them, and wake up 2 hours later on the couch, drool string in tow.

Jeppessen book - It is fairly decent. the jepp books try to make a boring subject more interesting by adding colorful pictures and drawings. But in the end, a book is a book is a book.

FAA stuff - HIGHLY bland, but covers everything you need much quicker. I wish I had known about them while in training.

In my own perfect training scenario. I'd use the FAA books, plus a study guide, plus an instructor. Of course, that is just me and you will be different. Enjoy checking out the different vids and books. I hope you find something that works for you!