View Single Post
Old 06-13-2010, 07:47 AM
Luv2Rotate
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008

Originally Posted by allflight57 View Post
I'm working at a drop zone right now as a fueler. The chief pilot has been talking about getting me into the Caravan for winter season if I continue to work here through summer, but I'm still going to school on my days off and have about 2 years left. They usually lease out their planes and pilots to other drop zones for months at a time. Doing this I would not be able to keep goingo to school because of being on the road all the time, and I am terrible at online classes. The other option would be to leave the drop zone now while I still have time left during summer and go finish my CFI. With the job market the way it is now it seems like I would be shooting myself in the foot for turning down turbine PIC flying. Any advice?
Why leave a summer job to finish up CFI? Can't both be done without giving up one for the other? CFI would be a good thing to have! I unfortunately never finished my CFI's and at this point in the game the cost/benefit just wouldn't make sense for me right now, back to you...
You should be able to work 20-30hrs a week while finishing up the CFI. If you're working 40hrs talk to your mgr and see if he/she will let you take a part time or reduced hrs to finish up.
The "Van" is a fun airplane to fly but the keyword is "if". In aviation take that with a grain of salt. Things change quickly and the carrott is constantly being dangled in front of us all. Bottom line do what you want to do. Turbine time will come. CFI's get a little harder the longer you wait. Perfect example is myself.

Last edited by Luv2Rotate; 06-13-2010 at 04:36 PM.