View Single Post
Old 06-20-2010, 03:36 AM
BoilerUP
The NeverEnding Story

Joined APC: Sep 2005

I'm biased, but Purdue is an excellent option, much along the lines of U of I.

Big 10 (12?) school, large campus & student population, and a multitude of other academic programs one might get a minor or second major in, including the very highly-ranked business school in Krannert & the obvious choice when most think of Purdue, the School of Engineering.

That's before you get to the aviation program, which has a long & rich history and is purposefully kept small to ensure scheduling of aircraft & classes. This fall they'll have a brand new fleet, which they also had when I started (new Warriors) but the flight fees charged are IMO very reasonable compared to the cost of the same aircraft at a local FBO. The professors generally are getting up in age but have been teaching a long time and are FANTASTIC - they really make the program work and go out of their way to help students succeed in their professional, and even sometimes personal, lives.

Out of state tuition at Purdue is a *****, and Purdue offers next to no academic scholarships for out-of-staters...something to keep in mind.

I could have attended Kentucky for free due to high school academics and done all my ratings in LEX for a fraction of what Purdue ended up costing...but I absolutely would not trade my experiences in West Lafayette to have less student loan debt.

There are lots of good options out there - choose wisely, as your bottom line should be considered just as much, if not more, than the school's reputation...