View Single Post
Old 06-20-2010, 06:00 AM
Captain Krusty
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2010
Position: Small Jet Captain

Don't get an aviation degree. It is absolutely worthless in regards to a backup career. I have and aviation degree and wish I had a degree in something useful like finance or criminal justice. Do what the others are saying, get a real degree and fly on the side.

As for schools:

If you can get into the USAF Academy, do that. You have to convince Uncle Sam to pay for your education and flight training.

Otherwise I can recommend University of North Dakota. If you are looking to save money go to UND over ERAU. UND is a public school, ERAU is not. If you live in a Western state you can reduced tuition at UND. By all means don't let a recruiter talk you into an aviation degree. UND has a lot of other good programs to look into and you can take advantage of the flying courses while there as well.

I went to UND. It gets VERY cold and there is almost nothing to do there other than what most college students do with any spare time. I did however have a lot of fun there and I can only speak of great things about the training and the people in Grand Forks. Very professional and standardized and you will pay a lot less at UND than ERAU.

Also, make sure flying is something you really NEED to do for a living. The quality of life and pay has been decreasing with time. It does become a job sooner than you might think. The glory days of being a pilot are over. I tell most wannabe pilots. Go make money, and buy your own plane and keep it fun.

Also, don't go into ridiculous debt to be a pilot. If someone else is paying, by all means take advantage of it, but you need to consider the responsibility of paying off debts with food-stamp like wages. You may be living your dream, but your life will become a nightmare if you can't afford your student loans. this should take PRIORITY over any decisions you make.