View Single Post
Old 06-20-2010, 06:49 AM
BoilerUP
The NeverEnding Story

Joined APC: Sep 2005

Originally Posted by Captain Krusty View Post
Don't get an aviation degree. It is absolutely worthless in regards to a backup career. I have and aviation degree and wish I had a degree in something useful like finance or criminal justice.
Criminal justice degree? For what - so you can be a law enforcement officer?

That's like saying you MUST have an aviation degree to become an airline pilot.

Finance degree? To make "real" money, eh?

Did you guys notice the number of banking/investment/finance-related jobs that were lost the last 18 months? And how many recent finance major graduates are STILL looking for work these days with no near-term career potential other than bank teller?

Folks with an aviation degree who have never worked professionally outside of the aviation industry often think a degree in ANYTHING but aviation would be their key to a successful job hunt outside of airplanes...but the reality is most any degree, without employment experience in the field using said degree (especially recent experience), is one step above useless when finding a job.

I know people with aviation degrees that have found successful, gainful employment outside of aviation in the fields of (among other things) business, retail management, and entrepreneurship.

You wanna make decent money over your career? You want some semblance of job security? Start your own business or go into nursing - other than that, the closest technical profession I can think of (and have experience with) is engineering - competent PEs are still fairly in demand.