Gets Weekends Off
waflyboy
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Oct 2005
  • Position
    737 Right
Hello Jusme. I'm a career changer myself. Going back to your first post, here are some things that came to my mind:

Quote: I have a B.S. from ERAU and a Masters degree (non-aviation) from a different institution.
Maybe I missed it, but what is your master's degree in? What institution is it from? I'm asking because usually when somebody commits the time and resources to pursue a master's degree, they figure it will come in handy at some point in the future. And that "future" appears to be exactly where you are right now.

Quote: He instructed me to get a certificate in Process Technology, and then I should be highly competitive for employment opportunities with all the major oil companies.
There was a time when you didn't need a "certificate" to get a job as a process operator. Years ago, I was offered an operator position and my highest level of education was a high school diploma. That was about 15 years ago, so maybe times have changed and this certificate is the new barrier of entry. But I wanted to share my experience, because over the last decade there seems to have been an increase in the number of schools promising "lucrative and exciting" careers and issuing degrees that are virtually worthless in the real job market.

Is your acquaintance an "enrollment officer" (sales person) for the school? How many times did you read or hear about the "coming pilot shortage" when you were looking for a flight school? I'm sure you don't need to be reminded of that....

Quote: What would you do?
If you are truly as vocationally misguided as you seem, you might consider the advice of a career counselor. I doubt you're going to find great happiness in a career as a process operator.