Old 06-28-2010, 06:48 PM
seafeye
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Hot tub for now

Originally Posted by DashGirl View Post
Just thinking out loud I guess...I'm one of those who currently work at a shrinking regional with no chance of upgrade and the threat of unemployment looming. Seems many companies are starting to hire. A lot of great opportunites are opening especially with foreign carriers. But wait...no ATP and no PIC turbine...Seems some of us SIC's, even those of us with over 3000 hrs tt may get left out in the cold.

If the so called pilot shortage actually hits, then I suppose we will find work to advance our careers, but numbers I'm seeing on mainline retirements are not exactly encouraging.

So us suckers that came in low-time that never got the ATP and the 1000 PIC flying boxes may very well have to face the music of our shortcut. We seem to be stuck in a wierd place of meeting the tt and multi mins of nearly everyone hiring but without the ATP and PIC time we are stuck. It's frustrating.

Sorry, I'm just venting...I'm sick of living paycheck to paycheck watching job after job come open that I don't qualify for as my SIC tt climbs into the 3500 hr range....

Sigh...I HATE that f'n ATP! It's hard to justify paying for it myself when getting any PIC turbine ain't gonna happen anyway...

Again..I'm just crying in my beer as Cathay Pac and JAL is hiring but me no have stoopid PIC time...Sorry.

I guess all I really can do is relax, be thankful I have a flying job at all and hope for the best....
You could always go to Embry Riddle or the like and have some 300hr instructor better prepare you for the airlines.