View Single Post
Old 07-04-2010, 07:58 AM
dosbo
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: Furlough/Gun Driver

Originally Posted by pause View Post
Dosbo,
I agree with everything you stated in your last post but it was the greedy mainline pilots that allowed this whole debacle to get out of control. There are some regionals (few) that have a good contract. Good for them. You're right that we all need to demand quality of life and a good compensation for the jobs we do. But, most regional airlines do not provide that and yet people still line up for the job. It's not right but that is what happens.
Secondly, I don't work for Unkle Hulie anymore and I've never felt better. One of the greatest days of my life is when I left that horrible company.

My main point being you could have inserted most regional airline names where you inserted "gojet".

You may be right to an extent but much of the loss of the 70 and 90 seat segment was lost by mainline in bankruptcy under the fear of court imposed contract language.

People line up for the job because they have the attitude of get in get 1000 TPIC and move on. Someone needs to educate them (the new entrants to the profession) on the realities of the regional industry and the lack of real opportunity to move on in a timely manner. The misinformation of become an airline pilot because, there is a looming shortage of pilots, you will make lots of money, and have half the month off need to be exposed. It is pathetic that one of the better contracts (Air Wisconsin) is concessionary and still too expensive to be competitive in todays market. CFI's building time need to understand the cycle of destruction and that by taking a low paying professional position that they are sacrificing their own future for a very short term gain.

If one of the greatest days of your life was when you left Uncle Hulie, why don't you share your experience first hand of why you left and why it was such a great day. Current applicants to his empire should know why it isn't worth staying there for the long term. How many years of your life did he exploit you for before you decided you had to move on? What ever you moved on to I wish you the best of luck. Life is too short to live in a cesspool making someone else wealthy.

You are absolutely right that I could have inserted most any regional because now they must continually undercut each other just to keep the flying they have. I focused on Go Jet because that is what the OP asked about. Also they are flying 70 seaters in United paint for less than I made flying 50 seaters. I sit at home furloughed because some professional pilot is willing to sell themselves cheap with the hope of moving on and as a result they are affecting more people than just themselves. This is the second time in my 121 career that my quality of life and income has been directly impacted by someone willing to fly larger aircraft for less money.

Unless new entrants to the profession raise their expectations and understand the reality of this profession, this career will no longer be worth the effort, cost, and family sacrifice. It is already nearly there.

I'll step off my soap box now.